Here are some things to build for a Sketch plugin for streamlining the process of drafting digital sewing patterns in Sketch.
I'm currently writing a tutorial series about how to do that, many of these ideas come from current shortcomings of squeezing a digital-design tool to work in real world units, and in an industry (pattern-making/sewing) that it's not specialized for.
Some thoughts on things to build, in order of urgency:
- Unit conversion (pixels to in/cm)
- Measurement toolbar icon + shortcut - select 1+ vectors/lines and compare
- Lock a point in place XY
- Lock length of a vector
- Import your base measurements from web app
- Export as PDF - Print at Home and One Page, from a single artboard in a more streamless way
- Test pattern piece layouts to determine material amounts needed (constraints on grainlines, folds)
- Output as AI compatible file
- Output as Optitex-compatible file
- Adjust base pattern for shrinkage of different fabrics, so garment wash can happen after sewing
- Generate “Markers” of various widths, layouts of all sizing
- Upload pattern to my library
- Version history for pattern in development